This easy-to-use, competitively priced tester from Fluke Networks is three tools in one: a fault locator, a cable and wire manager and a tone generator with SmartTone technology. From just ONE END of any two or more conductor cable you can measure up to 2,500 feet (762 meters). Easily find the distance to opens or shorts on electrical wire, telephone wire, security wire and coax.
Results appear as a distance reading rather than a waveform, so it's perfect for technicians unfamiliar with Time Domain Reflectometery (TDR). Find and fix cable problems without pulling new wire or blindly cutting into walls. Intermittent faults are easier to find because the unit constantly measures while "On."
It's perfect for inventory management of cable stock in trucks and warehouses and it can help you generate more accurate bids for jobs by quickly assessing needs and managing the cable stock with greater accuracy.
Patented SmartTone technology gives you five distinct tones to use for exact wire and pair identification, even in proximity to current-bearing cable. When touching the wires together and momentarily shorting the far end of a cable pair, the SmartTone technology will change the cadence of the tone generated. This tone change you hear through a probe positively verifies the correct wire pair.
NOTE: Voltage detection in the unit will immediately sound an alarm if you accidentally clip onto an energized pair, up to 250VAC.
- Works on any two or more conductor cable up to 2,500 feet (762 meters)
- Instantly measures distance to open or any fault from one end of any cable pair
- Patented SmartTone® tone generator positively identifies pair
- Measures cable distance on spool
- Measures constantly while 'on'
- Displays distance reading rather than waveform
- Large LED screen
- High voltage detection
- Moisture proof
- One-button operation
- Additional line cord options available for coaxial cable (F-connectors) and other applications
- Power of operation: 4 AA alkaline batteries, provide 50 hours
- Reverse Battery Protection: No damage to the tester will occur if the batteries are installed backwards
- Input Protection: 250 V rms ac, continuous or intermittent
- Moisture: If the tester is exposed to water, some may get inside, but it will suffer NO DAMAGE. See the moisture notes in the Maintenance section
- Impedance Range: 35 Ω to 330 Ω with auto-compensation within this range. Cables with an impedance outside this range will not be properly tested and may produce erratic or incorrect readings
- Maximum Length: 2500 feet on most cable types, and 500 feet on very lossy cables. The tester will feet on very lossy cables. The tester will display Err if the cable is too long to be correctly measured
- Minimum Length: No minimum length. Minimum non-zero reading is 2 feet
- Length Accuracy:±2 feet for cables less than 10 feet±5 feet for cables longer than 10 feet and shorter than 200 feet±3 % and±5 feet for cables longer than 200 feet
- High Voltage Detection: An ac voltage of more than 5 V rms will trigger the High Voltage Warning
- Measurement Rate: Maximum of 4 complete measurements per second, decreasing to 2 seconds per measurement based on cable size and uniformity
- VOP: Adjustable from -20- to -99-, retained during power off. Default to -66- when batteries are changed
- Measurement Technology: Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR) with 50 Ω drive impedance, 6 V maximum pulse height
- Low Battery: Indicator flashes when battery voltagefalls below 4.1 V
- Tone Injection: Approximately 1 kHz at an amplitude of 80 % of battery voltage. Variable frequency and cadence. Tone characteristic is changed as cable condition changes to normal-open from any other condition.
- Cable Type: Virtually all two or more conductor cables
- Temperature Range Operating Storage: 32 °F to 131 °F (0 °C to 55 °C) -40 °F to 158 °F (-40 °C to 70 °C)
- Humidity Operating Storage: 0 % to 80 % 0 % to 100 %
- Weight: 1 lb with batteries and clip leads
- Operating Altitude: 10,000 ft max
- Certifications and Compliance: Conformit© Europ©enne. Conforms to relevant European Union directives. CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950-1-03 CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 1010.1-92 CSA-C22.2 No. 1010.1B-97, UL/ANSI 3111-1
Representative Maximum Cable Length:
- 2500 feet: CAT-5 Twisted Pair
- 2000 feet: 12/2 ac Wire
- 1000 feet: RG-6/U TV Coax
- 500 feet (150 meters): RG-174/U Coax
- Carrying Case
- TS90 Cable Fault Finder
- BNC to alligator clips